Cheaper public transport for Queensland

Queenslanders will have cheaper fares after carbon tax savings are reinvested into public transport

Queenslanders will see a state-wide reduction in public transport fares for the first time in history, after public made the decision about how to reinvest carbon tax savings.

Feedback following a two-week survey and public consultation clearly showed Queenslanders want cheaper fares.

Public were able to participate in the survey online or over the phone and were given the option of reducing fares or having more frequent services.

An overwhelming majority of 74 per cent of the 22,000 voters wanted cheaper services while the remaining 26 per cent preferred more frequent services.

The funding for the fare reductions will come from $30 million of carbon tax savings which will be reinvested into public transport.

Queenslanders will pay about five per cent less to use public transport from November 3.

Fares will also be frozen in 2015, so Queenslanders will save up to 7.5 per cent next year.

Premier Campbell Newman says the State Government left it up to Queenslanders to decide where to reinvest the savings and the clear choice is a reduction in fares.

"The savings will be across the State so all Queensland public transport users will benefit from improvements in public transport affordability whether they live in South East Queensland or regional Queensland," he says.

"Passengers will now pay less for public transport across the State for the first time in Queensland’s history."

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to receive the ABC e-newsletter, digital magazine and other offers we choose to share with you straight to your inbox

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook