More action for SA

By: Amie Hickland


Strike action in South Australia may continue as drivers reject company offers

More action for SA
Strike action may continue

Adelaide’s ongoing workplace agreements dispute will continue after 57 per cent of workers voted ‘no’ to Transfield’s latest revised offer.

The workplace agreement negotiations between the Transport Workers Union and operators SouthLink and Transfield (Light City Buses) are ongoing, and have seen no improvements to drivers’ security, working conditions or pay.

Transfield drivers have just rejected the company’s latest offer last week but will continue negotiations, while SouthLink have announced they will put another offer to workers soon.

TWU South Australia/Northern Territory Secretary Ray Wyatt says 57 per cent of workers voted against the Transfield’s latest offer, but management and three TWU delegates will spend the whole of this week continuing the negotiations.

As a precaution, the union has also filed for Protected Industrial Action which means they will be able to continue to not wear uniforms or enforce fares in protest.

Wyatt says the negotiation process is a "win in terms of trying to make progress".

Once the negotiation is over, it is expected Transfield will go back to workers with a revised agreement.

"They have acknowledged they will have to change that offer or else it will be rejected again," he says.

Wyatt says the unions has stressed the changes wanted by drivers are not just monetary.

"It’s more about conditions – drivers are really worried about fatigue and rosters," he says.

"If there hasn’t been any progress we may restart action on Monday."

Meanwhile, drivers for SouthLink are still waiting for another offer from the company although no timeline has been given to workers.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook