Have your say


Queenslanders can now express their views on the proposed $5 billion Underground Bus and Train project

November 25, 2013

The Queensland States Government’s proposed $5 billion Underground Bus and Train Project will require an environmental impact statement, and residents will now be able to give their opinion on the matter.

Queensland Co-ordinator-General Barry Broe has declared the $5 billion project to be a co-ordinated project requiring an environmental impact statement.

Broe says the draft terms of reference will look at a range of key impacts as part of the environmental investigations of the 5.4 kilometre, 15-metre diameter transport tunnel.

It will also look at potential underground stations and platforms at Woolloongabba, Roma Street and Queen’s Wharf, the new Government precinct located in George Street.

Broe will co-ordinate a whole-of-government response to the project’s assessment.

The EIS does not include any above-ground development above stations, or demolition of the existing buildings in the Government precinct, which will be determined by a separate process.

"The proponent, the Department of Transport and Main Roads, will have to address any impacts to private residences and land owners, including potential noise and dust impacts, as well as any interruptions to existing bus and rail services during the construction phase," Broe says.

"Other issues to be addressed include impacts to public transport users, the removal and disposal of spoil, the operating hours for the construction team and groundwater impacts."

Deputy Premier and Development, Infrastructure and Planning Minister Jeff Seeney welcomes the release of the draft terms of reference for an EIS.

Brisbane has shown keen interest since the innovative public transport connection was announced earlier this month with 25,000 people viewing the transport tunnel fly thru online.

The consultation period starts today until December 20.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook