SA's future plan


The South Australian government has announced a plan for public transport months away from the election

SA's future plan
SA’s future plan

October 23, 2013

The South Australian Government has unveiled a plan for the future of public transport –months away from the state election with no commitment to funding.

The Integrated Transport and Land Use Plan, which outlines future priorities for public transport infrastructure, was released earlier this week.

It includes new tram line, expansions to the O-Bahn and more cycling network infrastructure.

The State Government makes no mention of funding in the announcement, which has come about five months out from the state election in March.

Premier Jay Weatherill says the plan is the most sophisticated and detailed transport plan ever undertaken in the state.

"Over the past decade, we have made an enormous investment in our state’s transport infrastructure – this plan builds upon this momentum and provides a vision for the future," he says.

"Consultation is critical to this plan and we will be asking all South Australians to have a say about South Australia’s transport future."

Planning Minister John Rau says the strategy supports The 30 Year Plan for Greater Adelaide.

"These are transport infrastructure options that support growth areas where South Australians will live, work and play in the future," he says.

"This plan strengthens the Government’s vision to create a vibrant city and to support new homes in and around the city."

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis says the State Government has already commenced rolling out the plan through a range of critical transport infrastructure upgrades.

"By no means are we starting from scratch with this plan – we are building on a record investment that will benefit generations of South Australians," he says.

More is expected to be heard about the plan at the Bus Industry Confederation 2013 National Conference next week.

Both South Australia Public Transport Minister Chloe Fox and Adelaide Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood will be speaking.

Submissions on the plan close on November 29 and more information can be found at www.transportplan.sa.gov.au



You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook