Bouncing back 1


Bus services are back to normal in New Zealand’s capital after Sunday’s earthquake

Bouncing back 1
Bouncing back

July 24, 2013

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown says the city is getting back to normal after last Sunday’s 6.5 magnitude earthquake.

"The capital is in good shape and is open for business," says Wade-Brown.

Road, rail and bus traffic are heading back to normal weekday flows.

Many Wellington commuters returned to work on Tuesday with little or no problem, although New Zealand’s Transport Agency advised workers to use public transport earlier this week as many car parking facilities were still being checked for structural damage.

Wade-Brown says last Sunday night’s quake provided an opportunity to note that Wellington’s city buildings and infrastructure is in good shape.

"Over the past two decades the City Council has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the quake-strengthening of much infrastructure," she says.

"Most Wellingtonians won’t be aware of it but we have spent many millions on new quake-proof reservoirs, all fitted with shut-off valves that will retain water if the water mains crack following a big quake.

"We have also spent millions on strengthening bridges and tunnels, including the Karori Tunnel, Kelburn viaduct, Aotea Quay over-ramp, and retaining walls above and below important arterial roads like the Ngaio Gorge and Churchill Drive."

Wade-Brown says Wellington Council is about to start a $43 million strengthening upgrade of the Town Hall.

She also thanked various groups for assisting with Wellington’s quick recovery, in particular the staff, contractors, building owners, volunteers and media for pulling together to help the capital bounce back.



You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook