GoNetwork vetoed


Translink's GoNetwork won't go ahead without Brisbane City Council's consent: Queensland Government

March 21, 2013

The Queensland Government’s grand plans to cut more than 100 bus routes
for
its proposed
‘high-frequency’ GoNetwork have now been completely vetoed.

Queensland Transport Minister Scott Emerson conceded today that no changes would be made to bus routes in Brisbane without Brisbane City Council's consent.

"Today I have written to council’s Public and Active Transport Committee Chairman Cr Peter Matic indicating that council has until June 1 to finalise the network and build on Translink’s recommendations within Brisbane," Emerson says in a statement.

Emerson has faced significant backlash from public and council since announcing more than 100 routes would be cut for Translink's GoNetwork,
which was proposed to increase the number of high-frequency routes in Brisbane from 19 to 26.

Emerson announced earlier this week that public pressure had prompted government to
alter its
GoNetwork plans, including cuts planned for the 411, 470 and 416 services.

Now all Emerson's proposed network changes are in doubt.

"I recognise that concerns have been raised by passengers and the Brisbane City Council, therefore final decisions about bus services will be made at a local level, taking on board local issues," Emerson says.

"Brisbane City Council makes a significant contribution to public transport and local councillors know their local bus routes and are best placed to identify the needs of local residents."

The GoNetwork was announced after a south east Queensland bus services review, commissioned in 2012.

Poor patronage levels were cited as the main reason for the review.

Emerson has also admitted that hundreds of people are left at bus stops each day, while half of Brisbane's Translink buses on other services carry less than seven passengers.

Emerson says the original proposed changes to the network were based on more than 6,000 pieces of feedback received in the past six months.

The government recently extended the feedback period to April 7, and Emerson says government has now received almost 10,000 submissions.

Submissions can still be made until April 7, but Emerson says the final decision on the network will now be made by council.

Submissions can be made online at www.translink.com.au or by phoning 13 12 30.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook