Driver 'bus jacked'

A bus driver has been robbed in New South Wales

By Sean Muir | May 28, 2012

A bus driver
was robbed while driving his route between Wynyard and Pennant Hills in New South Wales on Saturday, according to NSW police.

Police say a man threatened the bus driver with two bottles of alcohol before stealing cash from the till .

Police say the man then grabbed the steering wheel, causing the red and yellow bus to veer to the left.

According to police, the driver was able to maintain control of the bus by forcing the man to let go of the wheel.

But police say the man then demanded the driver deviate from the usual bus route and drive to a Carlingford shopping centre, where he ran from the bus.

The incident allegedly occurred after the man boarded the bus at Wynyard and became aggressive toward the driver and passengers while travelling through the Lane Cove Tunnel.

A police spokeswoman says
'bus jacking'
are uncommon.

"You don’t usually see that sort of thing, but last week we had someone firing shots at a bus so you never know," she says.

The spokeswoman says anyone with information about the incident should contact Crime Stoppers.

"We are appealing for anyone who saw anything happening to give us a buzz, anyone with info about who he is, because he is kind of hard to track down at this point," she says.

The man is described as being 25 to 30 years old, 175cm tall, and with a
medium build and
short brown hair.

Police say the man
is also described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, and was wearing long dark pants and a dark jacket at the time of the incident.

Police have released CCTV footage of a man who they believe may be able to assist them with their inquiries.

In a separate incident in Sydney recently, a man reportedly shot a State Transit bus with a rifle.

The 53 year old allegedly fired two shots at a 518 bus, which had eight passengers onboard, as it stopped at traffic lights on Victoria Road at Rozelle on May 22.

Police say the 35-year-old bus driver from Blacktown continued to the city and dropped the uninjured passengers at Market Street and the Queen Victoria building between 9.20pm and 9.40pm.

The shooter was arrested after police responded to reports at about 9pm that a man was walking along Victoria Road, carrying a rifle.

Police say the shooter, who allegedly had two rifles, was ordered to drop the weapons.

He then allegedly fired a single shot into the air before surrendering the two firearms to police.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to receive the ABC e-newsletter, digital magazine and other offers we choose to share with you straight to your inbox

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook