More bucks for back roads


Road repairs in south-western Queensland are now in full swing with an injection of federal flood relief funds

February 15, 2011

Isolated south-west Queensland communities are on the slow path to recovery with $370 million approved for flood repairs to state and local government controlled roads.

Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese says
more than $216.9 million had been approved for the state-controlled road network through the National Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) scheme.

"More than $153 million has also been approved for restoration works on the local government road network for Maranoa Regional Council, Balonne, Bulloo, Murweh, Paroo and Quilpie shires," Albanese says.

Queensland Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace says flooding in early 2010 caused extensive damage across both the state and local government network in the region.

"After the initial flooding, my department acted quickly to carry out emergency repairs and re-open roads," he says.

"Now we can get on with the job of doing permanent restoration work on the road network."

Wallace says road crews have started work on restoring the state-controlled road network and will be ramping up efforts now that further NDRRA funding had been approved.

"Work crews from the six local governments, RoadTek and private contractors will be engaged in this massive task," he says.

"Further submissions for NDRRA funding are now pending following flooding in November last year and January this year."

There will be changed traffic conditions during road works but the department will seek to minimise any delays.

Motorists are urged to drive to conditions and obey all signage for their own safety and the safety of road workers.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook