O-Bahn felled by flood


Adelaide’s O-Bahn extension project copped the chop from the Gillard Government this week with $56million funding balance wiped out

O-Bahn felled by flood
Adelaide’s O-Bahn felled by flood

By David Goeldner | January 28, 2011

The South Australian Government is not giving up hope on extending the O-Bahn guided busway despite its falling victim to infrastructure spending cuts following the Queensland and Victorian floods.

Announced this week as part of the flood rebuilding package, the Gillard Government has targeted the O-Bahn upgrade and extension project, cutting a reported $56 million from the original $61 million allocation in the 2009-2010 Federal budget.

The extension to the dual track which runs from the leafy north-eastern Adelaide suburbs into the CBD was due for completion in 2011 and is now on indefinite hold.

As recently as mid-December, SA Transport Minister Patrick Conlon had expanded on the O-Bahn’s upgrade plans with additional gated infrastructure at bus stations, with proposed designs sent to SA’s Public Works department for approval just weeks ago.

Any extension to the O-Bahn track or station upgrades not yet complete will now cease as a result of the Gillard Government’s post-flood rebuilding program in Queensland.

SA’s acting Transport Minister John Hill says he is disappointed that the O-Bahn had been targeted.

"We are obviously very disappointed with this decision on behalf of the residents and commuters of Adelaide's north-east," Hill says.

"We will continue planning and designs for this important project so it is essentially shovel-ready for the Federal Government to fund when economic circumstances prevail."

Minister Conlon is on leave this week and is yet to make a statement.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook