Transperth attackers charged

By: Jason Whittaker


The 17-year-old youth who attacked 59-year-old Swan Transit driver Gerard Sin with a lump of concrete last week (Friday, July

The 17-year-old youth who attacked 59-year-old Swan Transit driver Gerard Sin with a lump of concrete last week (Friday, July 31) has been charged with grievous bodily harm and criminal damage.

He has been bailed to appear in Armadale Children's Court on Monday.

Sin was hospitalised after the attack and today, doctors were expected to remove his badly damaged eye.

Transport Workers Union WA State Secretary Jim McGiveron says Sin is doing well "for a person that’s been put through that sort of trauma".

"He’s a lovely guy," McGiveron says. "He’s a Christian chap, is very forgiving of the attacker, but nevertheless, is worried about his future.

"The TWU will be sitting down with the company – and if necessary the government – to make sure that he has a good future."

And the man accused of attacking a 31-year-old female Transperth the same day as Sin was attacked has been sentenced to up to twelve months in prison.

On August 5 the Perth Magistrates Court found the man guilty of assault.

At around 12.40 pm on Friday, August 31 the bus driver was struck several times on the face by the male assailant.

She required stitches to a wound over her left eye.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook